Sunday, August 1, 2010

the way things happen and why

I have recently found myself analyzing and considering the methods by which individual people and families go about living and shaping their lives. I am also intrigued by the idea that lives are constructions of intentions and circumstances, i.e. that they are the ultimate definition of each of us and that they are a mix of that which we hope for and that which we cannot control. The idea that our time in this life is something that we can shape and define, or more that, for reasons commendable and not, not everyone makes the effort to shape and define their life, is infinitely intriguing to me in this stage of my life. For whatever reason, I have never fully considered the power and potential of my own agency. I have, for that matter, also never considered that I even had agency. Meaning that, looking back, I think that I have lived my life without really understanding that I had the ability to change any of the aspects of it. This sounds odd and is not entirely true but I know that it is to a certain degree the reality of the situation. This makes me wonder how much of the world lives as though their lives are the only lives that they could lead and that their circumstances are the only ones that they could every experience on a day-to-day level.

Back to analyzing the methods by which people define their surroundings as they age and mature, I cannot help but connect this issue to foundational political philosophies. I think that, at its core, republican ideals are built around setting up a system that best allows each and every individual to better their lives, even at the expense of the group whole. I think that democratic ideals are built around setting up a system that best allows the group to better its  life, but at the expense of the individual. With this in mind I look at how the people around me set themselves up to insure their future; do they mind paying more taxes towards community goals, would they rather put their money directly into the community, instead of through the government, do they teach their kids to regard their families beliefs as acceptable truths or do they teach their kids to accept whichever truths they find to be worthy of acceptance? And on what level is any of this conscious?

Things in northwest Montana are different from in Philadelphia but the way that people's brains work is the same. People everywhere are living their lives out trying to best get what they want without sacrificing what they have. While the things that influence them are different, i.e. surroundings and possibilities, the ways that they go about it is quite alike; they work a few more hours a week, they move, or they have more kids.

I am losing my train of thought but hopefully it will return

No comments:

Post a Comment